- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Brown Butter Icing, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease 1 or more cookie sheets. Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and beat until mixture is light in color. Add buttermilk.
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in oatmeal, raisins, walnuts, and vanilla, blending well.